Saturday, October 15, 2011

An old boy and a Jack: City 2-2 Ipswich

After waiting a couple of weeks for City to play because of the international break, I was denied watching this match because a stupid woman drove into my wife's car an hour before k.o. and I had to assist with sorting the resulting problems. Thankfully, and the main thing, both my wife and daughter who were just driving along the main road at the time were both ok. The car, which my wife has only had two weeks, a shiny black Fiesta Titanium is now a less shiny black and bent Titanium.

As for the match, I was kept up to date by radio and my son who managed to get to the stadium whilst I made my way back to the scene of the accident.

With Miller still sidelined Gestede and Earnshaw started up front, and it was the tall Frenchman who headed City aheadon 19 mins. But Ipswich were always threatening with former City legend Chopra, and ex-Jack Jason Scotland up front, and it was little surprise when the latter shot low to level on 30 minutes. It seems City were relieved to get in at half time without conceding. But, almost inevitably, on 51 minutes City old boy Michael Chopra nodded home to put the Tractor boys ahead. It seemed City were struggling, but fortune shone on them when referee Whitestone (who according to most people I've heard, including the commentators had a shocker) pointed tot he spot on 72 minutes for a handball offence. Peter Whittingham calmly slotted to make it 2-2. Shortly after Kevin McNaughton was brought down in the box, but the ref it appeared had given his quota of pens for the day.

So 2-2. I'd probably have taken that before a ball was kicked.

No comments: