Monday, May 23, 2011

Is he, isn't he? Will he, won't he?

Hot on the heels of the news that Jay Bothroyd and Chris Burke (plus Adam Matthews and in all likelihood Gavin Rae) are set to leave Cardiff City, comes rumours that Bothroyd is still in talks with the Bluebirds over his future.

You couldn't make it up.

Personally I can't see the big striker staying. If he gets a whiff of a Premiership contract with one of the big clubs like Stoke or Wolves I suspect he'll be off at a canter, and I suppose, who can blame him. After all, real loyalty in footballers is a scarce commodity these days. It'll be a shame though - I thought at times he didn't pull his weight this season, and got too precious - especially after his one, and in all probability only England cap, but he banged in the goals and we (nearly) always looked a better team with him in than out. One thing's for sure, we're going to need a decent man up front next term, and in all honesty, I can't see it being Jon "The Beast" Parkin.

Burkey goes with best wishes from me. I don't think he ever got to the heights of last season, but he's an honest pro. I thought he looked a bit lightweight this year, though to be fair was in and out of the starting line up, and often didn't get the ball enough for me.

And finally, what of DJ? I think most Cardiff supporters would be keen to see him depart, and today' s news sees him being linked strongly to West Ham. What a bloody irony that would be if he goes to Upton Park, and takes the Hammers straight back to the Premiership.

Who to take over if he does? I've said my piece in a previous post - I fancy Chris Hughton to come and do a job here, but who knows. I just hope it's someone with a bit of nous who can start to rebuild - because that's surely what we have to do, a side to challenge for the Premiership.

Just now, with our season barely put to bed, I have absolutely no expectations for next season, other than not being relegated. If there's still money in the pot, and we can acquire a good manager and some decent signings over the summer, maybe, just maybe, those aspirations will rise to a play-off place, but my dreams of automatic promotion to the top tier were this years dreams, now dashed and broken. I can't see us being in as good a position to mount an effective challenge for a couple of seasons.

No comments: