Saturday, December 04, 2010

How's your connectivity at CCS?

As a fan of Cardiff City and a season ticket holder, I'm at the Cardiff City Stadium a fair bit. On match days I like to tweet about the atmosphere, the game, key decisions.

However, it's almost bloody impossible to do so. 99 times out of 100 I cannot get anything other than the most basic of signals on my iPhone in the stadium (and sometimes outside it). If I want to make a phone call, or send a text message it's just about OK, but browse the web, use Twitter, check my iPhone football apps for other scores - not a snowball's chance in hell. Nada. No signal - "the internet connection timed out".

It's really, really frustrating. No it really is. We're in the 2st century for God's sake, and I can't use my phone proper;y because in the middle (well almost) of the capital city of Wales I can't get a 3G, or even and "Edge" connection.

And do you know what's even more bizarre and frustrating? There are occasions (few and far between) and other people who (regularly) can.

I sit in the Grange end of the stadium. A couple of months ago I was attending the Wales v Bulgaria match, and I had wall to wall 3G. I could tweet and browse to my hearts content. Just as well really because the game was pretty poor that night.

Today for example, in the three and a half hours I was there, I saw an Edge connection flicker into view once, for about 30 seconds - apart from that nothing.

Another City fan, (@DarthCudd) for those of you Twitterati, sits in the Ninian stand and tells me on his Android device he always has a 3G signal.

Building the conspiracy theory further, another of my Twitter chums tells me the police ask to have the internet connection "switched off" in the stadium during matches. Now I'm not sure about this on two counts.

1) @DarthCudd can clearly get a signal
2) How can someone "switch off the Internet?

However the fact that (for me at least) it was wall to wall in one match and non-existent at most others, does rather suggest something is going on.

And before anyone asks, I don't have an iPhone with a "grip of death" issue, and in fact it's used in a case.

That apart, it's bloody irritating. I wish someone would sort it out. Hallo??

No comments: