Monday, November 22, 2010

Bah - Humbug!

Now don't get me wrong. I love Christmas. And I enjoy it for all the right reasons, though I'm not a particularly religious man.

But there's no doubt that it's become a mass consumer fest. Even in these "austere" times, it seems the only mantra from about the middle of October is spend. The shops are already crazy, and Starbucks has been warbling Christmas songs for several weeks.

But here we are, still well over a week from December and already the first residential Christmas lights are appearing. I saw my first lot yesterday (21st). Assuming they'll keep them up until at least twelfth night, that's 47 days or 12.8% of the year displaying Christmas lights. Ludicrous (and arguably a little sad of me to work that out!).

One of my Facebook friends says her neighbours have had a tree up since 5th November! Frankly they should be locked away. The people, not the trees.

I'll admit I like Christmas lights, and put my own exterior collection out the first week of December, but that's only because I'm likely to be last in my street by then! Indoors and tree don't go up until about 10 days before. My brother in-law normally leave it until Christmas Eve, but that's extreme even by my standards!

Anyway, Christmas must be coming, because I think I have this rant every year!


No comments: