Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New faces for City?










Away from the news of City's demise from the Carling Cup tonight, still no firm news on any more new faces at City.

The rumours continue surrounding the return of City old boy Glenn Loovens though reports suggest he wants to stay at Celtic and fight for his place, despite not appearing to figure too highly in manager Neil Lennon's immediate plans. God knows we need a defender on Loovens stature - both his height and his technical ability. I'm sure Mark Hudson is a lovely chap, but I don't rate him, and though Gabor Gyepes is decent enough, he needs someone big and strong with him. When he played virtually a season with Roger Johnson beside him he was great. I'm also not sure what Gerrard has done to fall out of favour with Dave Jones as he with Gyepes would have been my starting two centre backs this season. Rumours were that he was off to Sheffield Wednesday, though that's been denied by the Owls manager, and he played tonight.

Also tonight I saw a post on Twitter from @cardiffcitymad the well respected Michael "Mad" Morris's Cardiff City Online suggesting a loan move for Wolves Republic of Ireland striker Andy Keogh. You can see in the photo above that he's already practising the "Ayatollah"!

However, given the number of loan signings we currently have I think we can only have one more, so it looks like it would have to be either Loovens or Keogh. For my money (and lets' face it, I give enough of it to Cardiff City every year), I'd rather Loovens, because there's no doubt we need a better central defence, whilst we've got Bothroyd, Bellamy, Burke, Chopra, Whittingham who should all score goals this season.

No comments: