Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New wireless keyboard

I bought a new keyboard and mouse this weekend. My old compaq keyboard was full of all sorts of incredible gunge -you wouldn't believe it. Well perhaps you might. It's astounding how stuff ends up in there, most of which by the time you come to clean it out is unrecognisable.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I tried to clean it out,but after putting the thing back together several of the keys were deciding not to play. So I decided to shell out for a new one.

At PC World, prices ranged from about £9 upwards. I'm not using my home PC all day every day so don't need a top of the range one, so settled on a PC Line wireless keyboard and mouse set for £14. Yes just £14! I've used a wireless set before and love them. Wires are just so yesterday, so was pleased to go back to a wireless set.

Set up was a cinch. Put the batteries in, plug in USB receiver and Bob's you're auntie's live in lover.

The mouse is great. Responsive and comfortable. The keyboard not so. There's good key travel, but I'm finding my touches on the space bar are being missed unless I press really hard. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to it, but you can immediately tell the difference in quality between this and the old Compaq unit.

I guess there's a moral there. You pay you're money and take your choice.

No comments: