Sunday, January 10, 2010

Gadgets I don't want. What about you?

Despite my love of gadgets and computer things in general, there are some thing that leave me pretty cold.

I've never been able to get into the whole e-book thing. I've tried, both on my iPhone, and before that on my Palm Centro. Now I agree that the Centro with it's small screen is probably not the most intuitive device to read e-books on, but it is possible, and I have done it.

The iPhone is obviously more suited to this, and I do have eReader installed in the device, with several books on it, but I just don't use it. I'd much rather have a real book in my hand/bag, despite the fact that it's another thing to carry around and I could get hundreds of books on my iPhone (if I wanted).

Thus, devices such as the Kindle and Sony's e-reader leave me stone cold, and I really have no desire to own or use one. Maybe it'll change in time, but give me a proper book with real paper any day. For me a book is more than just the content, it's an whole tactile experience.

The other thing doing the rounds at the moment is wild speculation about Apple's "tablet" device. I've never used a tablet PC, though I've seen some used by others. It may be the way of the future, and who knows, if Apple get their act together, they of all people will probably do it well, but for me at the moment a notebook like my Macbook Pro and a smartphone provide me with the mobile computing I need. I really don't hanker after a tablet device - yet.

Having said that, I can remember a time when the first proper smartphones started appearing, and I wondered who on earth would want to try and cram a computing experience into a phone. And now here I am, a smartphone evangelist!

Are you a gadget person who has seen gadgets that don't interest you?

No comments: