Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dropbox again, and other sync stuff

One of the cloud programs I've started using much more since getting my Mac is Dropbox. I've installed Dropbox on each of my desktop PC's, my Macbook Pro and even my Eee netbook. Now I have a Dropbox folder on each of these machines, and whatever I put in that folder is automatically synced to the "cloud" every time I connect to the net, and s therefore available on whichever machine I access it on.

I only have the free version of Dropbox at the moment, but that gives me 2GB storage, which is plenty for the use I need at the moment. For stuff that I need cloud storage for that's specific to the Mac I have iDisk via Mobile Me.

The other thing that's worthy of a mention is the Xmarks plugin for Firefox, again installed on each of my machines which means my Firefox bookmarks are automatically synced across all machines. Cool.

I still do have some concerns about cloud storage. It's fine until a) the cloud isn't available, and/or b) something else goes horribly wrong. I hope it doesn't, but it might. But in the meantime, it's working for me, and I'm getting quite excited by what the cloud can offer.

No comments: