Monday, October 26, 2009

Moving to Mac. A Windows User Experience

Well, as I'm making the move to a Mac for the first time, at least on one of my machines, I though ti would be a good idea to document my progress on this blog.

As I don't actually get the machine until later this week, and probably can't get my hands on it for a few days more (it's a birthday present), it's probably worth outlining why I've decided to jump ship to a Mac.

It's for all the wrong reasons. I've never owned a Mac, having only ever owned and used Windows based PC's from way back in Windows 3.1 days. I actually used to use MS-DOS 5 machines at one point. I have at home 2 desktop PC's running Windows 7 and an Eee 701 netbook running XP, so from both an experience and hardware perspective it makes no sense.

However, I've always thought it would be nice to have a Mac. I like the style, the OS looks easy, and it's just, well, different. And a lot of what I do is web based, so really it makes no odds - both platforms are very efficient these days.

And, (this is the clincher), I have a rather big birthday coming up (no, bigger than that!) - one where you think perhaps you should do something a little out of the ordinary, something rash. Get a motorbike, visit a far flung country.....or get a Mac.

To be honest, the nod came from my good lady. One day when I was fiddling in PC World on the premise of "just looking" but thinking about getting a laptop she said, "Don't forget you've got a big birthday coming up, why not get one of those...?" (I was shielding the price tag at the time). I explained all the reasons why not - price, lack of knowledge, all my software is for Windows etc, and she just said "...every once in a while you have to do something radical". The seed was sown. We agreed that I'd get a laptop for my birthday, and I'd put something towards whatever unit I got given they're not cheap at any price.

Over the next 4-6 weeks I scoured online reviews and as has been well documented on The Lentil, narrowed my choice to a Samsung Q320 Windows based laptop, or the Macbook Pro (MBP) - both 13" models. The Sammy is about 200-300 cheaper depending on where you buy and in what configuration, and generally better specced. Classy though the Samsung looks the MBP just oozes style. I know you can't go on looks alone, but it don't half help!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'd convinced myself the Samsung was the way to go, almost to the point at which I picked up the phone this morning to order, but at the last minute I changed gave in, and decided it was going to be the MBP. So it's on order, and should be with my by Wednesday.

In my next post, I'll lay out the pros and cons as I see them. You have to remember, though, this is a "want" not "need" purchase. That's a big difference. Just ask an economist.

No comments: