Monday, October 26, 2009

Microsoft - what's going on?

I'm not having a good Microsoft day (which is probably God's penance for me for ordering a Mac).

My kids are sadly both avid users of Microsoft's MSN Messenger instant messaging service. So when I upgraded my two desktops to Windows 7, I downloaded and installed the latest version of Messenger, called Live Messenger. Now apart from the fact this is a big download and tries to foist all sorts of other essential "apps" on you, it don't bloody work.

I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled about 6 or 7 times now over the last two days, but whenever they try to log on they get a "could not log you on" error.

Googling brings many reports of similar problems - though none directly related to W7 as far as I can see, and solutions ranging from wait, to hacking the registry. I've done all of the above. I've even downloaded an old version which promptly told me to continue I "had" to upgrade to the latest version.

I've checked the firewall (and tried it with that disabled) and disabled the anti-virus software too all to no effect.

Microsft support sites ain't much help. You have to register (even though I'm already registered with "Microsoft Live", and having registered the "next" button takes me to a blank screen that says this service is unvailable!!!!!!

I've installed Trillian as a short-stop, but that requires more registration processes. Pulling hair out now. No idea what to do next. Anyone?

UPDATE

Sorted after a bit more hair pulling and swearing and Googling. And of course, it was an easy fix.....wasn't it. No.

I had to go to the command line as an administrator and type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" and then reboot the PC.

No I don't know what it means or does either, but it worked.

No comments: