Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mail dilemma - and it's not the Royal Mail!

For years I've used Microsoft Outlook (2003) on my home PC's for email and contact management. Mostly I suppose because I've used Outlook at work and am therefore familiar with it, but it's not through any innate love of the application.

My recent upgrade to Windows 7 on my desktops, gave me an opportunity for a re-think, and I installed Mozilla's free and open source Thunderbird application. So far, I've been impressed. It's far slicker than OL 200 and looks nicer, but I've yet to fathom all the bells and whistles.

I've also been thinking it's time to move away a desktop client altogether, and move to using Googlemail. I already have a Googlemail address, and of course everything would be available so long as I have an internet connection.

Now of course, the Macbbok Pro comes into the equation. I've no idea how good (or bad) the inbuilt Mail application is, but I do understand that it's probably quite OK, and of course integrates seamlessly with iCal and the Mac Address Book application.

Chances are in the first instance I'm going to sync my iPhone to the Mac and manage all my email/contacts and calendar on the MBP and my iPhone. I'll have to work out the most efficient way to keep everything synced (wired, wireless or via Mobile Me?). Hopefull using only Apple devices and software will rid me of some of the strange things that happen with duplicates and so on from time to time when I've been using Outlook.

If you're a Mac or serious Googlemail user, let me know what works for you - and of course what doesn't!

No comments: