Monday, October 26, 2009

It's done. Macbook Pro in da house...nearly

The deed is done.

I have finally, finally, made a decision on a laptop, and Apple wins out over Samsung - MAC OSX over Windows 7.

To be fair, it was a tough decision. Up until about 2 minutes before I picked up the phone to order the MBP, I was still erring on the side of the (significantly cheaper) Samsung Q320, but at the end of the day I think that was all about my "sensible" side, and as my dear lady wife has said on two or three occasions, "be rash for once". So the MBP it is. Should be delivered on Wednesday, but I guess I won't be able to get my grubby mitts on it until my birthday next Monday. I can wait....

So are there any reasons why the Apple/OS X machine has triumphed over the Samsung/Windows stable?

Well, it's undoubtedly an uber-cool machine - Apple devices generally knock spots off Windows machines in looks and build quality.

It's got a battery life that only Windows netbooks, or the latest low voltage "thin & light" laptops can rival in a much more powerful machine.

That trackpad is just awesome - having played with various MBP's in PC World, Currys and Comet over the last few weeks I don't think I'll ever need a mouse.

You get a load of good software as standard, though I'll need to fork out on an office suite (iWork or Office for Mac anyone?)

My "concerns" over having a Mac in a house full of Windows desktops, are I think all surmountable, and the main one was around sharing files. It shouldn't be an issue. Writing to my external and currently NTFS formatted hard drive might require either setting up a FAT32 partition (Mac's don't play with NTFS) or trying something like Paragon's "NTFS for Mac" (anyone tried this)?

Let's have you top suggestions for Mac software please!

Now all I can do is chew my fingernails until it arrives, and then chew them some more until I can play with it....

No comments: