Saturday, April 11, 2009

Pembrokeshire

The Pembrokeshire National Park is one of my favourite places in the UK - I've been going there since I was 13, and I'm 50 this year, so that tells it's own story.

We've just been for a flying visit. Travelled yesterday, one overnight in my sister's caravan, and back late this afternoon. Never tire of the place. This view is from the cliffs above Abereiddy bay with the "blue lagoon" (an old slate quarry) in the foreground, looking back towards St David's head.

Abereiddy is especially poignant for our family, because we scattered my mum's ashes here back in 2003.

The whole of the coast in this area is absolutely superb, as are the beaches, with some real hidden gems, ranging from wide pebble beaches (Abermawr), rocky inlets (Trefin), Abereiddy with it's mixture of black slate sands and rockpools and the lagoon, and Whitesands, a broad expanse of golden sands.

If you love nature, surfing, kayaking, coasteering or just chilling on the beach, this is certainly one of the best places in the UK to do it.

Just don't tell anyone else....

No comments: