Saturday, September 13, 2008

Great game: City 0 - 0 Bristol City

The Bluebirds and Bristol City played out a great Severnside derby today in front of over 19,000 at Ninian Park.

Probably second only to a Cardiff/Swansea game in terms of atmosphere, these are always decent encounters.

I'm amazed it finished 0-0. Both sides had chances, and I reckon the Bluebirds edged the game, having long periods of pressure on the Robins defence, but sadly lacking a killer touch in front of goal.

Jay Bothroyd is yet to impress in a City shirt, and at times he looked like he was scared to have a go when in with a chance, looking to offload to someone else. He missed the chance of the game in the first half when one on one with the keeper.

Elsewhere, City's defence looked solid enough, and Darren Purse, for all my doubts about him, had a superb game and was rightly named man of the match. Ross McCormack also looked dangerous when he came on for Parry, and I only hope it was fitness that prevented him from starting - he seems to give City an extra edge up front.

Joe Ledley who to me so often seems inocuous, though I'll get slated by ofther City faithful, also had a tremendous game, and I think he's moves up another gear this year.

This was one of the best 0-0's I've ever seen at Ninina Park, although to be fair, there have been some pretty dreadful ones down the years!

Oh, and to make the day even better, the Jacks lost!

No comments: