Monday, September 01, 2008

City News: Transfer Deadline Day

Few bits and pieces happening around the place footy wise.

First up it appears that Alexei Smertin, formerly of the parishes of Chelsea, Portsmouth, Charlton, Russia, Dynamo Moscow and currently Fulham, may be joining City on a season long loan, subject to getting work permit. (There's always a "subject to..." with City isn't there?)

I've always thought he was a decent player, and although it's another one well over 30, I think this would be a great signing.

BREAKING NEWS
It appears good old Alexei has done a "Robbie" on us and rejected the offer on the table. Now I guess that was too predictable....

The BBC website almost gave me (and I suspect loads of other City fans) a heart attack earlier when it reported Joe Ledley had signed for Stoke for £6m. We know Stoke had a £5m offer turned down last week, so it was credible. However City moved quickly to quash this rumour and said he's going nowhere. We'll see.

And then the news that the City v Jacks Carling Cup match will be on the telly (Sky) which is good news. Much as I'd like to go to the Liberty Stadium on a rainy Tuesday (it's bound to be raining), I'd rather watch it from the comfort of my living room. Safer.

BREAKING NEWS:
Steve "The Thommohawk" Thompson, alleged striker of the Borough of Ninian Park, and collector of yellow cards and blank scoresheets has signed for Burnely. Good luck to him. He worked hard but it never really went for him at City. No doubt he'll bag a hat-trick when we play them....!

No comments: