Monday, April 07, 2008

Weather with you....

I don't know what it is about the British and weather, but we just can't get enough of it. Add in the "mobile" element and trawling around various mobile sites and blogs it's clear to see that a lot of people can't get by with a regular weather "fix".

Up until now I've always relied on the BBC Mobile Weather web site which I find very good.

However, I've also been keeping a weather eye (sorry) on a program called Weather (that's original) by Deluxeware

This is still in beta, so it's free and potentially unstable, although in use I've found it to be rock solid so far. It has a great graphical interface, and can also double up as the keyguard rather than the default Palm keyboard lock which makes things a bit more interesting when you rouse your device from it's slumbers.

You can select from a number of locations worldwide (it has my town of Barry in South Wales in the list so must be pretty exhaustive!), and you can either update the information manually on request or set it to update automatically every 15min, 30min, hourly, 6 hourly or 12 hourly

Forecast views include current, detailed 48 hours, or summary 7 or 14 day forecasts. The "current" display is quite comprehensive with:
  • Name of location
  • Temperature
  • Pressure
  • Textual summary (currently mine says "Scattered clouds: Nippy" so a bit humorous too!
  • Wind direction and speed
  • Humidity
  • Dew point
  • Visibility

I think this is a very neat app, and if you're evern remotely interested in checking weather on your Palm device I'd recommend you give it a try. As it's currently free, it's an absolute steal.

(I must also remember to find my registration key for Screenshot 5 which I used to snap this image, but which I've mislaid as I installed it originally on my Treo 680 a year or so ago...)

No comments: