Saturday, February 16, 2008

Geograph - what a great idea!

I've stumbled across a great website. It's called Geograph and basically the premise is that the Geograph British Isles project aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland.

The way it doe this is by allowing users to upload photographs for every single OS grid reference in the land.

It's absolutely fascinating - I came across it when looking for a photo of a particular place, but then spent hours browsing - especially checking out some places from my childhood/younger days which evoke such strong memories - a real memory jerker. This one for example is a spot on the South Forty Foot Drain where I spent many, many hours at fishing as a lad when we lived in Lincolnshire - though the trees and bushes have grown a bit in the last 20 years or so!

I love this so much I've already registered and uploaded some of my own photos. As well as showing a pictorial view of the British Isles, there are also some stunning photographs out there. Can you do better?

No comments: