Friday, February 29, 2008

Application overload

In contemplating whether to get a Centro, I'm looking at my current Palm Treo 680 and thinking about the applications I'd use if I got the Centro. I suddenly realised just how many 3rd party installs I've put on the Treo. Here's a list of them all.

  • Bonsai. An "outliner", or list manager from Natara
  • Diddlebug. A freehand note application - excellent and free!
  • eWallet, from Ilium software for managing all my passwords, PINS and other "sensitive" information
  • Passwords Plus, my first password manager from Dataviz. Still like this one.
  • Documents to Go Professional Edition also from Dataviz. Superb. Can't be beaten for managing office documents on a mobile device.
  • Scrapbook. A handy little utility for notes/scraps of information. More flexible than the in-built Memopad.
  • GroupTextMessaging. To allow SMS texts to groups of people. Not otherwise easily done on Palm devices. Tricky to find the most up to date version but worth it
  • Quick News. A decent rss reader from Standalone
  • KB Lights Off. A super free ulitiy that allows you to "switch off" the keyboard lights thus saving precious battery life.
  • KeyCaps600. Another freebie, this excellent utility allows you to effectively do away with the Shift and Function keys, making the Treo truly a one handed device when typing. The first thing I installed on my Treo. Couldn't live without it.
  • Ringo from Handmark. For managing ring tones per contact and using MP3's as ringtones
  • Resco backup. You don't know how important a backup strategy is until your machine dies on you. This is one of the best.
  • Screenshot5. Neat utility for capturing screenshots for reviews etc.
  • Undupe from Stevens Creek software. Another freebie. However careful I am, I always end up with duplicate information in my calendar, contacts and tasks. This weeds them out.
  • Uninstall Manager from Northglide. The in-built uninstall doesn't always get rid of every file. This utility does a better job.
  • Volumecare from GoTreo. A lot of people say the Treo range suffers from low volume. I'm not convinced, but it could be better. This helps sort it out.
  • Bejeweled. One of the classic games from Astraware
  • Par 72 Golf. A free golf game
  • Titanic. Another brilliant game from Astraware
  • Virtual pool mobile from Celeris. First got this for my Treo 650. The graphics have to be seen to be believed.
  • Wordpop. Another classic and very addictive game this time from Smartbox Design
  • ereader for all those e-books. I actually struggle with ebooks. I'd rather a real book, but it comes in handy now and again
  • Minitones - allows you to find and allocate MP3's as ringtones
  • TCMP - a great way to play videos on your Treo - and free too!
  • Tom Tom mobile. Sat Nav from the kings of Sat Nav
  • Googlemaps. Does what is says on the tin.
  • Metro - local travel information for more towns and cities in the world than I'll ever visit. Another freebie too.
  • Weather by Deluxeware Check out if it's raining - currently in beta

No comments: