Tuesday, October 05, 2004

What's the fun in DIY?

I hate DIY. I'd love to love it, it's just that I'm not very good at it. Never a very practical person, I'm just not cut out for gutting a house and rebuilding it - or even painting or hanging wallpaper. I can attempt it of course, but therein lies the problem. The finished product looks like I've "attempted" it. I've got stories of flat pack wardrobes that fall to pieces half way through building, screws through central heating pipes and more. I take the lead from my elder brother Terry, who's a dab hand at anything requiring tools, patience and a degree of skill but who's motto is "Never use a screw where a nail will do"!
Now though, I'm in the middle of redecorating my son's room and laying a new carpet in my daughter's room. Why? "Call a man in to do it" said my good lady. First, can you find one you can trust that's not a cowboy? Possible. Is he free and able to do it? Er, not until next February/March mate, I'm rather busy...." Bugger. And then there's the dining room, kitchen and stairs/hall to do as well.....that's my autumn gone!

No comments: